Friday, November 3, 2017

Pork Chops In A Worchstershire and Red Wine Reduction

It's been awhile since I've blogged, I hope I remember how! My friend Amy was drooling over my pictures of the Pork Chops I made last night and I told her I'd share with her my recipe and so I have decided I'm going to share it here because I HAVE MISSED THIS BLOG SO MUCH and since I'll be typing it already, I may as well type it here and then share my blog with her. I know, I am SO SMART!

Get a bib, y'all....you're gonna need it!

Here we go!

Disclaimer: I rarely measure anything, so I'm ball-parking here people...it's not rocket science, but it's just something I came up with once and it was a hit so I keep making it! :o)

I tend to buy thicker pork chops or the pork loin steaks for this recipe.

You'll need on hand:

Stove top burner
Oven (preheat to 400)
Large oven proof skillet
Pork Chops/Pork Loin Steaks
One onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
Garlic Press
(Please use fresh garlic and use a garlic press - it's the best and cheapest tool I have in my kitch - except for the microplane I bought and spent waaaaaaay too much money for at one of those fancy kitchen stores...but I digress...)
1/4 - 1/3 Cup Worchstershire Sauce
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup Red Wine - I use Merlot a lot, but hubby drinks some nice Cab sometimes, so I use whatever is open or handy.
Flour
2-3 tbsp Johnny's Seasoning Salt (to lightly season the chops before you flour them up and also to add to the flour)
1-2 tbsp Cayenne Pepper (to add to the flour)
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2-2 C water

To start, you'll get your oven safe skillet heating on the burner med-high heat and add olive oil.
While that skillet is heating, you'll prep your plate with the flour and Johnny's and Cayenne and you'll dredge the pork coating it lightly and completely.

Your skillet should be pretty hot by now and you'll place the pork in the skillet - be careful, the oil will splatter you - it's just a given - us amateur cooks just need to deal with a little pain every now and then, amirite?

While the first side of your pork is cooking, you can now dice up your onion and use the garlic press on your garlic.

Flip your pork to the other side - feel free to add more olive oil at this point - we want the flour coating to sort of fry, I guess is the right word. We don't want to submerge it, but there needs to be a bit of oil to help with the crust on the outside of the pork as it cooks. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on the second side.

Add your onions and garlic to the pan. Cook for just a couple minutes - making sure you don't burn your garlic...it gets bitter when it burns and will permeate the entire dish.

Add your Worchestershire Sauce and Wine to the pan. Let this liquid reduce by about half. You may experience some thickening of the sauces because of the flour crust you've been creating - that's great!

Once your "sauce" has reduced by about half, you can add the water, give it a gentle stir to mix the water and sauce together and pop the whole skillet in the oven for about 45 minutes. You could push it by only leaving it in for 1/2 an hour, but trust me when I say that extra 15 minutes will make that pork melt in your mouth!

Remove the pan from the oven - BUT ....don't do this.... I mean it...just don't.

At some point during this process, you should really boil some potatoes to make mashed potatoes, because I'm about to blow your brains out with my next steps...seriously...let's just agree right here and now that you're going to make mashed potatoes, m'kay? Great. Glad that's settled.

Remove the chops to a plate. Place the skillet back on the stove - bring to a boil.

1/4 cup flour.
2/3 cup milk - maybe a little more depending on how you like to make your gravy. Milk and flour added to the sauce that has been simmering is how I roll...but you do you. Whisk the holy living LUMPS out of this mixture - if it's too thick, add a little more milk. No big whoop.

While whisking the sauce mixture that has been brought to a boil on the stove top, slowly drizzle in the milk/flour mixture until you achieve the desired thickness for your gravy.

DISH UP YOUR PLATE, Y'ALL!! I like to drizzle some of the gravy over the pork and on my mashed potatoes.

Serve with your favorite veggies or not...totally up to you.

I hope you try this one!! It's pretty spectacular and a great dish to have when you're craving Thanksgiving foods but it's too close to Thanksgiving to really want to go through the trouble, ya know?








No comments:

Post a Comment