Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pasketti Noodle Surprise!!!

We had just gotten back home from camping for two days. We unpacked and had to go to work the very next day. Cupboards were slightly sparce and the dreaded question arose...you know the one. The question that makes those tiny little hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Yep!

What's for dinner?

Ugh. Sometimes I think to myself, "I DUNNO, why don't you figure it out and bring me dinner in bed?!?!"...but then the good wife and mother in me rears her ugly head and before I know it, I spout off something like, "Let me think about it. I'll call you in an hour when I've got something ready." And with that, everyone carries on with their video game playing and text-a-thons.

Last night I looked through the refrigerator and pantry and came up with something REALLY YUMMY!!

Here's what you need:

1 pkg. Turkey Keilbasa (The ones that are shaped like a horseshoe in the plastic package. Whatever type you like best - doesn't have to be turkey - or even Keilbasa for that matter...)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic (pressed or diced up really finely)
1/3 of an onion, diced.
about 3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 - 1/3 cup of your favorite red wine
1 1/2 tbsp dried basil
1tsp dried oregano
6 1/4" slices of mozzerella that you've diced up to about 1/4 to 3/8 dices. You'll end up with about a cup and a half of the diced cheese.
1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzerella cheese
1/4 c parmesan cheese - grated.
Salt (about 1 1/2 tsp)
Pepper (1 tsp)
1 pkg Spaghetti noodles (cooked)

I started with browning the sausage after I sliced it - then sliced the slices in half moon shapes.
Once the sausage is browned, I added the onion, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, red wine, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring it up to a simmer with the lid off - I know, I know...it splatters over everything. Just chill and get a rag ready to clean it up, m'kay?

Once you get a decent thick red sauce out of that, dump the cooked noodles into the sauce skillet and mix it up. Then I tossed in the cubed mozzerella cheese and mixed it up really well.

Spread it into a glass cake pan. Spread the shredded mozzerella cheese over the top, then the shredded parmesan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

TALK ABOUT A DELISH DISH!!!! YUMMMMMYYY!!!!!

You can vary the dish depending on whether you like fungus or not - I'm talking MUSHROOMS, PEOPLE! Also you can get fancy with the pasta if you want. Bow tie is fun for the kids, Penne is yummy because the sauce works it's way into the tube part of the noodle and it's awesome!

Let me know if you try this one out. I'm anxious to know what you think. And as an extra bonus, you can use this sauce recipe for some of the most YUMMIEST PASKETTI KNOWN TO MAN! Just add mild italian sausage (Sold like ground beef packages) if you want something really good too!!!

Enjoy your Delishy Dishy!!

1 comment: